I went camping this weekend on a record breaking day of heat. It was about 105 degrees, and our state was issued an excessive heat warning. However, we went ahead with it, and everything was just fine. We got there in the evening and it wasn't too hot. We roasted marshmallows and hot dogs at first. But then a storm came rolling in. This was not just any storm! The park ranger came and gave us a warning and sirens were going off all night. There was supposed to be wind over 70mph! Fortunately for us, the storm blew over in a few hours. The next day was a lot of fun by Lake Anna, but when we got back to Arlington, we found out that the storm had been much worse at home. Everyone was without power for several days. Trees had fallen over everywhere, crushing cars and power lines. Large trees were uprooted and trees and sticks were blown everywhere throughout the streets.
 |
| This is in our neighborhood |
 |
And so is this. These are just a few examples of what it
was like everywhere. |
The items that went bad at the stores were taken off the shelves.
Some places still haven't gotten power back yet. That night Carissa and I went to Safeway to look for a battery operated fan. We came to find that they had to empty all of their shelves where food had spoiled and could not sell their cold drinks (probably for spoilage reasons.) Gas stations were even out. We walked through our neighborhood with a flashlight because none of the street lights were working, and slept in the basement because the house was excessively hot since the air conditioning was off. Then Carissa came up with a brilliant idea! While everyone else was complaining about the heat, she decided that we should have some fun. She is from CA and has never caught fireflies before, so her idea was to catch a bunch and use them for light in the house! Unfortunately...there were no fireflies out that night. But it was a great idea nonetheless! And it gave us something to do during the hot night.
This week has been great! It's been one of my dreams to spend the fourth of July in DC, and now I can say that I've done it! What a great experience! And I got to share it with my dad! He drove down from PA just to see me for the day and watch the fireworks here. I also went to see a parade in the morning with a few of my friends.
 |
This is a picture that I found online which represents very well
the spirit of the 4th of July in DC. |
This week's memorable moments with Danny:
Danny also learned how to hold his breath underwater this week when we were swimming in the pool! I was pushing off the edge of the pool with him attached to me because he likes to go fast, and he accidentally went under water one time. It turned out that he loved it and we did it again and again until he could do it all by himself. It was a lot of fun at the pool!
.jpg) |
| Danny is wearing his shark life vest :) and eating goldfish |
"Mommy, when I grow up, I'm going to marry you."
Danny: "My dad's nickname is Keith."
Me: Long confused pause..."What's his real name?
Danny: "Daddy."
Danny also sets alarm clocks randomly throughout the house. I think he hides them too. I will wake up every morning at 3 or 4 am thinking my alarm is going off. It usually just turns out to be another alarm clock though. Occasionally I have been able to find them and turn them off, but usually they are too well hidden, so I end up just trying to sleep through them.
I have waken up with giant bruises all over lately, too...especially on my arms! I wonder if that has anything to do with it!
I'm glad you and Dad got to have some 4th of July fun together! My favorite danny story is his dad's "nickname"! Also, I can't believe about the alarm clocks!! hahaha! what a sneaky little guy!
ReplyDelete