Friday, June 29, 2012

Moving In Again (Week 4)

After two weeks of bug bites and trying to get rid of bugs, it's finally time to move in again! What does this mean? I say this because I have been living with my personal belongings in garbage bags for the past two weeks. This is because we had bugs and had to wash and dry everything in heat and enclose them to prevent the spread of bugs. In the first week of being here I received about 20 bug bites. It more than doubled the next week, and finally we decided to treat it after that. This is what led to the washing of my clothes and putting them in  garbage bags. So every time I needed to find something, it was a search through the garbage bags to see where it could be. Fun, I know! I will be happy when my things are all settled in again. This should happen by the end of the week.


This week I got to play exterminator. Megan and I went on several "bug hunts" throughout the house trying to find all the possible bugs that could be causing the problem. Between the two of us we created our own bug collection. On Tuesday I did all of the bedding laundry in the house to prevent the spread of bugs, since Megan and Danny had both gotten bites too. I vacuumed the carpet throughout the entire house, thoroughly cleaned out Danny's bed with the vacuum, vacuumed the couch and took several other preventative measures. Then on Wednesday, Megan asked me to set of the bug bombs while she was at work and Danny was at camp. I set off a bug fogger in the basement, then ran upstairs and set one off upstairs, and then set one off on the main floor before leaving the house. It was exciting, scary, and dangerous all at the same time. We weren't allowed back in the house for at least three hours. This meant that Danny did not get a nap, and we had an extra long day. The next day the real exterminator came to spray the house, and we could not come back in for 4 hours in the morning. Finally today, the exterminating is all over.

The great part about it all, was that I got to spend lots of time with Danny!


  

This week I also attended institute, where I learned a lot of great things. (See picture below.) Yes, the class was really on how to find a good husband, and yes, there really was a sign outside. :) They even passed out laminated booklets to us containing the information from class! They are so prepared and class is always great! I love this class because I also found out that the teachers are the grandparents of the boy that my good friend Meghan Mains just married!


I also attended a concert in Strathmore (which is Maryland and costs about $4.75 each way by Metro to get there.) Here is a summary from the Strathmore website of the awesome concert we got to see:
"Called a “revelation” by Rolling Stone magazine, guitarist Stephane Wrembel celebrates the release of his fifth album, Origins, featuring music from blues to flamenco to rock. See and hear the guitar in a whole new amazing way with Wrembel, whose career path has taken him from the Gypsy campsites of the French countryside to the stage of the 2012 Academy Awards, where he performed his theme to Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris."




While there, I found this cute statue that reminded me of being a caretaker/mother. (Below) I also bought the best hot dog I've ever eaten! :) (Or at least it should've been. It cost $5!!) But I was hungry because I left right after work and it took me the whole rest of the time to get there. They even evacuated our train because they were terminating it when we were almost there, so it took about an extra 15 minutes to get where we wanted to go. But it ended up being great and I got to spend some time with my friends Allison, Carissa, and Stephen!

One of my sweetest moments this week was when I had accidentally left my copy of the Ensign on the living room table after reading it. Danny saw a picture of Jesus in it and asked his mom who it was. Megan has a belief in God and Jesus Christ, so she explained to him who it was. Then all day, Danny kept asking me about God. I simply answered his questions, but he seemed fascinated. Then he kept asking things like, "When I go to heaven, will mommy be there too?" And when I told him "yes" he was so excited. Then he made up things like his chocolate being skeleton chocolate or something that would help his body after he died and was with God and all kinds of funny stories...I just laughed about it. He is so cute. Then later that night I got a text from Megan. I was a little bit worried when I read the first line, because I didn't know how she would respond to me answering Danny's questions about God. Luckily, it was the quite the reverse. She let me know that she was grateful for it! This simple text was super sweet to me and reassuring that I can be who I am without worrying while I work and that I am a good fit for this nanny position. Here is the text from Megan that I received after we finished our conversation:

"Ps Danny is telling me a lot of stories about God and I love it. Thank you and grateful for our Super Sitter Exterminator Extraordinaire."

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I can't believe you had to deal with all that bug infestation!! You are one tough lady. I hope that "how to find a good husband" class paid off! I never got to go to one of those, but apparently, it still worked out for me. ;) I love Danny asking you all about God! I'm so happy that his Mom is supportive too of his blooming faith. Love you!

    ReplyDelete