Monday, June 25, 2012

Moving In

Arriving in Arlington was a little bit tricky. The GPS doesn't seem to work very well in DC, so unfortunately my dad and I got a little bit lost trying to find our way here. Luckily, we finally found it. My first impression of the neighborhood was that it was very family and community oriented. There are several pools and tennis courts on every corner! It is a very large development. In the middle of the neighborhood is a community center with a park, basketball courts, a soccer field, and building for summer camps for the kids. I think that Danny and I will be spending a lot of time there together.

The house that I'm staying in is a duplex. It is a perfect size. It's not too big, and not too small. The main floor has a living room and kitchen. Danny and his mom sleep upstairs, and my room is in the basement. It is really nice! I have a very large bed, my own bathroom, nightstand, and closet. In the room right next to mine downstairs there is a TV, couch, and large love sack. I can tell that the family went through a lot of work to make everything really nice and to help me feel welcome and comfortable. However, my favorite part of the whole house is the garden! I have never had a large garden before, and I am so excited to help care for it and watch it grow this summer! The garden contains squash, strawberries, two types of lettuce, red onion, basil, a large section of tomatoes, and several flowers. The house feels a bit European to me. I am excited to make it my home. I know that this family and I will get along because they like to eat the same foods that I do! I love making healthy choices and living a healthy lifestyle, and they are the same way. Everything in the house is organic. It is full of fruits and vegetables, and everything that I love. They drink pure fruit juice and water, but not any soda or sugary drinks. There are cookies in the cupboard above the kitchen counter, but that is the only junk food I have seen. This coincides perfectly with the habits I want to keep this summer. I love to eat healthy, and believe that an occasional cookie is the perfect treat. :) 


The family I am staying with is really great! Megan (the mom) has a great sense of humor and is very easy going. She seems to be very honest and upfront as well as wanting to be helpful and make me feel welcome here. Danny (the little boy I will be a nanny for) is super cute! The first day when I arrived he asked me, "Heather, why did you take so long to get here? I've been waiting for you to come forever!" Then before I could respond he replied, "Wait, I know why it took you so long! Was it because you were babysitting other kids on your way?" From this moment on, I fell in love with him and knew it would be a good summer! How cute is he?! Megan's boyfriend's name is Chambi. Although, Danny calls him "Chompy" so at first I was really confused with how to pronounce his name. :) He is a genuinely nice guy and very into sports. He's from Peru,  very attached to his family, loves soccer, and travels frequently for work. They are a great family and I feel so lucky to have found them to stay with this summer.


                                This is a picture of what our house looks like from the outside.

1 comment:

  1. I love this Dannyism- "Wait, I know why it took you so long! Was it because you were babysitting other kids on your way?"

    So, so cute! I also love that everyone was confused by Chompy. I'm glad everyone learned each other's names eventually!!

    ReplyDelete